As a consumer, you have a right to sue if you have relied on false advertising. Normally, any misleading information results in too many consumers relying on fake information and hence purchasing the goods or service. If you have bought a product after relying on misleading information, you can join other consumers who have suffered the same injuries to get compensated. To make the process of recovery easier, you can consider looking for class action lawsuit lawyers who know the laws that prohibit all types of false advertising. If you are a victim of deceptive advertising, it pays to learn the basic laws whether you are to file a lawsuit or not. The information can also be useful for your health being.
Types Of False Advertising
False advertising involves publishing advertisements that contain untrue information with the intent to promote sales. People who have suffered injuries from false advertising have the right to file a lawsuit. The lawsuit is to recover monetary loss due to the business or company misleading consumers into buying their goods and services. Two leading illegal practices done by businesses regarding false advertising include:
- Deceptive advertising on pricing:Businesses are fond of making incorrect price comparisons. Besides, they also offer what supposedly seems to be free but have hidden costs.
- Deceptive advertising on consumption or misleading health claims:Consumers get satisfied that some products or services have health benefits, which increases consumers’ expectations, while it’s not true.
Other forms of false advertising include:
- Manipulation on terms. For instance, a seller can describe health supplements as 100% organic without having the right ingredients.
- Oversize packaging and fillers tend to increase the weight of what the consumer thinks he/she is buying
- Inconsistent comparisons with other products in the market. Companies always compared goods to other companies, which is not illegal if the product has the right characteristic. To take action in such a case, one may need to prove that the product left detrimental characteristics though it was termed as “better.”
If an advertiser deliberately makes false advertisements, consumers can bring in legal action or bring the advertiser into compliance with the Federal Trade Commissions (FTC). The law allows consumers to sue for monetary damages they have suffered due to such an advertisement.
Are You A Victim Of False Advertising?
Advertisements often contain exaggerated information to try to elicit an emotional response from consumers. Meaning, not every advertising may be illegal or false. It requires the right lawyer to determine whether the adverting relied on by consumers was false.
If you have relied on false advertising, you need to recover your monetary loss. Since several consumers may be affected by the same violation, you may choose to hire a class action lawyer who can seek compensation for all claimants. He/she will guide you on whether you are to first submit your claim to a local agency and then later file a civil lawsuit. The lawyer can evaluate your case and determine the best path forward to obtain a recovery.