Are you facing discrimination at work? It’s important to know what you’re entitled to. The anti-discrimination laws ensure your rights are protected. Most of the states have laws that prohibit employers or any organization from discriminating against individuals. If you can prove that employment discrimination happened, it’s good to take action. You can talk to labor lawyers Orange County Ca, who can provide good legal representation and determine a positive outcome. The sooner a lawyer is involved in your case, the better he/she will be positioned to collect enough evidence to prove your claims.
What is Employment Discrimination?
Employment discrimination is when an employee receives unfair treatment due to the following:
- National origin
- Equal pay
Additionally, it may involve retaliation simply because an employee complained about the workplace environment. You will have to prove you suffered from employment discrimination, and you have to show that your employer mistreated you despite being in a protected class of people. A protected class of people means a group of people that qualifies for special protection by the law. A lawyer assesses your discrimination case in a special way. Furthermore, he/she understands that not every employment discrimination case is illegal. The law stipulates what qualifies to be legal. Below are some of the factors that your lawyer may consider.
- Do you fall within a protected class? Your lawyer must prove that indeed you belong to a protected class. If you believe in being discriminated because of age, you must fall into the age discrimination class.
- Did you receive an unfair treatment compared to other employees? For example, if you’re a female worker and male counterparts were promoted, this enough doesn’t qualify. There must be some additional factors needed to prove that your sex was a consideration in the decision made by your employer to deny you the promotion.
- Available evidence: There must be enough evidence to prove you were discriminated against. This may take the form of witness statements.
- Any damages suffered: You have to prove that you suffered loss or injury due to the discrimination. To be compensated, you not only need to prove that your employer acted illegally, but damages such as lost wages or emotional stress must also be proved.
- Can you be a good witness? Your lawyer must be able to see the potential of orderliness. You must present yourself in an organized, and be clear and concise. You need to present your case correctly.
Have you been discriminated in your workplace? It’s normal to feel defenseless when you have been mistreated. It would be best if you took action to pursue your legal action against your employer’s needs. That’s when a good lawyer comes in place. If you hire an experienced labor lawyer, he /she can help you regain power. The lawyer will weigh the available options and give you guided information on whether to file an administrative charge.